Your annual management fee will cover the time required by DOC to manage your concession.
It is likely to be between $150 plus GST and $500 plus GST depending on the level of ongoing management that your concession requires. This includes collecting activity fees, invoicing for rates and administering rent reviews.
If DOC is required to monitor the effects of your activity we will charge you a monitoring fee to recover our costs. The fee will depend on what your activity is and how much work is required by DOC staff.
See the information below for the minimum fees that apply to your concession. Occasionally the fees will vary depending on the circumstances of your activity.
Some activity fees are calculated under the percentage of revenue framework. See more on How we calculate a percentage of revenue activity fee.
You can enquire how much your fees are likely to be in your pre-application discussion. The actual amount will be determined by DOC once you have submitted your application.
Your fees will be reviewed every three years. After we complete your fee review if you do not agree with our assessment, your concession agreement will tell you the process to follow. You'll also need to use a rental review reconsideration form:
Activities listed below:
- Beehive placement
- Non-commercial easements
- Minor commercial easements
- Commercial easements
- Guiding tours - cycling
- Parking for commercial operators
- Retail activities
- Sporting events
- Telecommunications facilities
- Watercraft activities
Accommodation activity fees are typically charged under the percentage of revenue framework or on a land value percentage where no revenue is generated,
Note: baches on public conservation land have a minimum activity fee of $2000 per annum.
The indicative fees for commercial flights taking off or landing on public conservation land are below. These fees are all charged per person. Where loads are being delivered without passengers the fee will be single drop-off or pick-up fee multiplied by the maximum seating capacity of the aircraft used.
These fees do not apply to non-commercial operators. If you are using a private aircraft for recreational use the activity fees are waived and the management fees are discounted by 50%.
- Single drop or pick-up – $22 + GST
- Single glacier landing – $28 + GST
- Shuttle service – $33 per person within a two-week period + GST
- Multiple sites – $40 per day + GST
- Multiple sites including glacier – $46 per day + GST
- Heli-skiing – $50 per day + GST
- Hovering – equates to a landing and will be charged as above
To host beehives on public conservation land there is a base rental fee of $30 + GST per hive, per annum.
Hives where there is Manuka honey production attract a $75 + GST per hive fee per annum. Alternatively the operator may choose to pay $10 + GST per hive, per annum plus 10% of the annual revenue from those hives (if DOC is able to remotely monitor hive production).
Access/easement activity fees will generally be applied as set out below.
Where an easement services more than one lot, the fee will be calculated by multiplying the relevant easement fee by the number of lots or beneficiaries that the easement serves.
The easement fee will depend on both the nature of the activity (ie access, water pipe, powerline) and which category the applicant or beneficiary falls into (ie non-commercial, minor commercial or commercial).
Example: An easement application is received for water pipelines servicing 20 beneficiaries/lots of land. Ten of the beneficiaries are classified as minor-commercial, seven are commercial and three are non-commercial. The pricing will be as follows:
- 10 x minor commercial water pipeline fee ($1000+ GST) + 7 x commercial water pipe fee ($1665 +GST) + 3 x non-commercial water pipe fee ( $400 + GST).
- Foot $400 + GST pa
- Livestock Bridge $400 + GST pa
- Cycle $400 + GST pa
- Vehicle $530 + GST pa
- Storm water/sewer $400 + GST pa
- Water pipes $400 + GST pa
- Underground and overhead cable $335 + GST pa
- Fibre optic cable $400 + GST pa
Minor Commercial easements are generally small but support a commercial activity. They are associated with single farm properties and other single occupier situations.
- Foot $1000 + GST pa
- Livestock Bridge $1000 + GST pa
- Cycle $1000 + GST pa
- Vehicle $1,330 + GST pa
- Storm water/sewer $1000 + GST pa
- Water pipes $1000 + GST pa
- Underground and overhead cable $665 + GST pa
- Fibre optic cable $665 + GST pa
Commercial easements support larger scale commercial activity. When assessing the fee, how often the easement is used should not be a consideration.
If a valuation is not required use the fees below.
- Foot $1,665 + GST pa
- Livestock Bridge $1,665 + GST pa
- Cycle $1,665 + GST pa
- Vehicle $1,995 + GST pa
- Storm water/sewer $1,665 + GST pa
- Water pipes $1,665 + GST pa
- Underground and overhead cable $1,665 + GST pa
- Fiber optic cable – single activity $1,330+ GST pa
Fiber optic cable – part of Network:
- Base fee $1,995 + GST pa
- $3.00 per meter charge pa
Fees charged may vary for significant commercial easements.
Note: easement activity fees will be adjusted annually to account for consumer price index (CPI, or inflation) increases.
Where the total grazing activity fee is expected to be greater than $17,000 + GST pa, your fees will be generally be 7.5% of gross annual revenue. An independent valuation will be required. The grazing activity fees for the second and third year(s) of your concession will be increased by 2% annually.
Where the total grazing activity fee is expected to be between $8,500 - $17,000 + GST, there a number of options on which your fee may be based, including:
- value of the land
- anticipated value of the crops being planted
- number of stock/ value of stock being grazed.
Your fee will depend on a number of factors such as whether a land valuation is available and/or whether you plan to grow crops.
Guiding includes but is not limited to guided hunting, guided walking and guided vehicle trips.
For large operators (DOC fee is greater than $10,000) the concession fee is generally 7.5% of gross revenue, but can vary. Where activity takes place mostly off public conservation land the per person fee may be more suitable.
The per person fees below are for smaller operators (DOC fee is less than $10,000):
- Trips 1 hour or less – $1 + GST
- Trips more than 1 hour but no more than 4 hours – $5 + GST
- Trips more than 4 hours (but no more than a calendar day) – $10 + GST
Fees are based on the amount of time guiding takes place on public conservation land during a calendar day (the 24-hour period from 12:00am to 11:59pm).
Example: A guide brings a group of walkers onto public conservation land at 4 pm on Saturday and off the land at 10 am on Sunday. The $10 rate (for a trip more than 4 hours) would be charged twice per person – once for the Saturday and once for the Sunday.
Children between 5–17 years inclusive are charged 50% of the above fees. Children under five are free.
The fees for popular cycle tracks are listed below. These fees are all charged per person.
- Great Lake Trail – $10 + GST
- Timber Trail – $10 + GST
- West Coast Wilderness Trail – $5 + GST
- Queenstown trails, Jacks Point and Lake Hayes – $1 + GST
- Mountains to Sea – $10 + GST
- Motu Trail (full trail) – $10 + GST
- Motu Trail (less than 4 hours) – $5 + GST
- Rimutaka Cycle Trail – $10 + GST
- Te Ara Ahi – $1 + GST
- Queen Charlotte Track – $10 + GST
- St James Cycle Track – $10 + GST
For trails not listed above refer to the standard guiding fees.
Children between 5–17 years inclusive are charged 50% of the above fees. Children under five are free.
Gravel extraction fees
Extraction fees are comprised of two components:
1. A fee for the right to access public conservation land to carry out extractions
- This fee is the same as the easement fee for commercial operators using a vehicle for access: $1920 pa plus GST.
2. A fee per cubic metre of gravel extracted, the price varies based on the location of extraction:
- For 'normal' rock/gravel extraction on the West Coast of the South Island: $1.00 per cubic metre plus GST.
- For 'normal' rock/gravel extraction outside the West Coast of the South Island: $2.00 per cubic metre plus GST.
Gravel storage/stockpiling fees
The fee for storing gravel depends on the area of land required:
|1 to 1,000 m2||$0.60/m2|
|1,001 to 4,000 m2||$0.50/m2|
|4,001 to 6,000 m2||$0.45/m2|
|10,000 m2 +||$0.40/m2|
The same fee structure as above applies. However the cubic metre fee differs:
- For landscaping and decorative rock (ie schist), $6.50 per cubic metre plus GST.
There is an annual activity fee of $1050 + GST per annum per concession/vehicle, and an annual management fee of $250 + GST.
Transportation activity fees apply to shuttle or car relocation services. Shuttle services are provided when persons are transported to and from a trail end by a company. Car relocation services relocate private cars from one end of the trail to another. Both activities have different fees.
Activity fee pricing for transportation services
|Per vehicle, per trip (ie per relocation)||$7.00 + GST per vehicle|
|Per person to one road end||$2.50 + GST per person|
|Per person to/from both road ends||$3.50 + GST per person|
|Per person to one road end||$3.90 + GST per person|
|Per person to/from both road ends||$4.10 + GST per person|
*Special pricing applies to transportation services for the Tongariro Alpine Crossing.
If revenue is known the fee is 7% of gross annual revenue (as confirmed in the annual report).
If revenue is not known the fee is 6% of the property value.
The fees for events are the same as for guiding fees.
There are two standard rental rates:
- Rental Rate 1 (the lessee provided normal access and power easements)
- Rental Rate 2 (DOC provided access and power).
Rates are further categorised according to the size of the facility.
The rental rates are:
|Facility size||Rental Rate 1||Rental Rate 2|
|Small 1||$3,270 + GST||$3,760 + GST|
|Small 2||$6,545 + GST||$7,520 + GST|
|Medium 1||$11,450 + GST||$13,165 + GST|
|Medium 2||$14,175 + GST||$16,300 + GST|
|Large 1||$19,625 + GST||$22,570 + GST|
|Large 2||$27,255 + GST||$31,345 + GST|
An environmental premium may also apply in specific areas, for example, national parks.
For assistance in assessing the size of your facility and the rental rate that will apply, contact your local DOC office.
Note: telecommunication facility activity fees will be adjusted annually to account for consumer price index (CPI, or inflation) increases.
The fees for watercraft activities are the same as for guiding fees.