Kiwi Guardians at Taputeranga Marine Reserve
IntroductionThis reserve is only 6 km from Wellington's city centre. It's very accessible and offers snorkelling, diving and walking opportunities.
- Do the Island Bay snorkel Trail and explore the wreckage a New Zealand Navy Frigate!
- There are over 180 fish species have been recorded on the south coast. Octopus, rock lobsters, crabs and starfish are common. Anemones, sea sponges and sea squirts thrive.
- Walk the beaches, and if you are keen, visit Sinclair Head and Red Rocks scientific reserves, which can be found 1 km west of the marine reserve.
- Sinclair Head/Te Rimurapa is a winter haul-out for the New Zealand fur seal.
- Visit the Island Bay Marine Discovery Centre holding the largest collection of marine life in New Zealand. Gold coin donation for entry.
Download the Taputeranga Marine Reserve adventure map (PDF, 2,702K) and check out what you can do.
Go and explore
Look out for the Guardian Plaque when you get there. On it you'll find a special code word - write it down and use this when completing the medal claim form.
Taputeranga Marine Reserve is approximately 6 km from Wellington City centre. Buses run regularly from central Wellington to Island Bay, Houghton Bay, and nearby Lyall Bay.
Claim your reward
Tell us the Taputeranga Marine Reserve code word to receive a Kiwi Guardians certificate and medal for this adventure.
Put the medal on your back pack or pencil case to show everyone the adventure you've had.
Each Kiwi Guardians place has a different medal - see how many you can collect.