|Kauaeranga Visitor Centre|
|Phone:||+64 7 867 9080|
|Fax:||+64 4 471 1117|
995C Kauaeranga Valley Road
PO Box 343
|Full office details|
- 8:30 am – 4:00 pm daily off peak/shoulder season
- 8:30 am – 5:00 pm peak summer season
- Closed Christmas day
Note: The Visitor Centre will close during severe weather.
Facilities and displays
- Toilets inside the centre, and 24 hour toilets at the end of the carpark.
- Refreshments and camping supplies.
- Filtered water from tap.
- Displays on the cultural, historic and natural features of the Kauaeranga Valley.
- Watch a 20 minute film about the history of kauri logging in the valley "The Last of the Kauri Bushmen" in our theatre, as well as a number of other nature films. (Gold coin donation.)
Wash your gear to prevent kauri dieback
Kauri dieback has been found on the Coromandel. To prevent it spreading, wash your gear at the stations at the visitor centre. More about kauri dieback.
The visitor centre is 13 km (15-20 minutes) from Thames on Kauaeranga Valley Road.
From Thames travel along Banks Street (BP Service Station on the corner) which turns into Parawai Road. Continue as it passes through the settlement turning in Kauaeranga Valley Road.
After hours information for campers
If you arrive after hours and wish to stay in one of the nine campgrounds you can pay by cash in the envelope provided at the visitor centre. You can also pay online through this website.
If you wish to pay by card you must pay at the visitor centre during opening hours.
Kahikatea campground is for certified self-contained campervans only. These sites are booked online or at the centre, but you must collect keys at the centre during opening hours unless prior arrangements have been made.
Conference room hire
The Kauaeranga Visitor Centre facility is available for hire for private or corporate functions. It 's ideal for business meetings, team building exercises, training courses and conferences.
The venue is close to Thames, yet in a secluded bush setting. The building is modern and well-lit with ample parking for all sized vehicles.
Depending on the function, maximum capacity is 60 people. We recommend 30-40 people as a maximum for comfort.
We provide a training room with tables and chairs for 60, wifi, whiteboards and a projector.
Catering is available through the visitor centre.
- Full Day: $100.00 + GST (5 hours +)
- Half Day: $50.00 + GST (4 hours)