The Tongariro National Park Visitor Centre is located at Whakapapa Village, the main gateway into Tongariro National Park – New Zealand’s first national park and dual world heritage area. This visitor centre was historically known as Whakapapa Visitor Centre
The centre was first established in the 1960s and was redeveloped in 2001.
8 am – 4:30 pm daily
Closed Christmas day (25 December).
Information and services you can find here
- hiking track information and current conditions
- weather, ski field, and avalanche reports
- exhibits on the volcanoes, māori mythology, flora and fauna
- a 3D model of the national park
- audio-visual displays
- quality merchandise including books, postcards, clothing and gifts
- hut tickets and Great Walk reservations
- topographical maps and brochures
- hunting permits
- 24 hour access foyer with public telephone, weather and track information