Tongariro National Park Visitor Centre
IntroductionVisit the Tongariro National Park Visitor Centre to learn about the natural and cultural values of the park.
Check if a DOC visitor centre is open
Always call before visiting as some visitor centres may have to physically close due to staff shortages or other issues.
Tongariro National Park Visitor Centre will be closed all day:
- Wednesday 4 October
- Wednesday 18 October.
Tongariro National Park Visitor Centre is located in Whakapapa Village, the main gateway into the park. It is New Zealand’s first national park and a UNESCO dual World Heritage Area recognised for its natural and cultural landscapes.
Nau mai, haere mai. On arrival to the village call into the centre for an introduction to the park. Get expert advice and in-depth local knowledge from our friendly staff on recreational opportunities, current safety messages, conservation and Māori history.
8 am – 4.30 pm daily
Closed Christmas day (25 December).
Information and services you can find here
- hiking track information and current conditions
- weather, ski field, and avalanche reports
- exhibits on the volcanoes, māori mythology, flora and fauna
- a 3D model of the national park
- audio-visual displays
- quality merchandise including books, postcards, clothing and gifts
- hut tickets and Great Walk reservations
- topographical maps and brochures
- dog control and hunting permits
- 24 hour access foyer with weather and track information.