National parks you can apply for
If you want to fly your drone in one of the following national parks, contact the relevant office before submitting your application:
- Aoraki/Mount Cook National Park – contact our Aoraki office
- Kahurangi National Park – contact our Nelson office
- Rakiura National Park – contact our Rakiura office
- Westland Tai Poutini National Park – contact our Westland office
- Whanganui National Park – contact our Whanganui office.
How to get a permit
- Why you need a permit and how to get one for recreational drone use.
- How to get a commercial drone use permit.
National parks we do not recommend you apply
Drone use is not generally allowed in the following national parks including for recreational purposes:
- Abel Tasman National Park
- Arthur’s Pass National Park
- Egmont National Park
- Fiordland National Park
- Mount Aspiring National Park
- Nelson Lakes National Park
- Paparoa National Park
- Tongariro National Park
- Westland Tai Poutini National Park.
We do not recommend you apply to fly a drone in any of these national parks. Your application is likely to be declined, and you will be charged a fee ($65 plus GST per region you apply for) for the time spent processing your application.