Date: 12 September 2012
To celebrate the ‘Love your parks’ theme for Conservation Week 2012, the Department of Conservation together with New Zealand’s official Spokesbird for Conservation, Sirocco the kākāpō, are hosting a contest to find New Zealand’s best "people loving parks" photographs.
Sirocco’s asking amateur photographers to enter a snapshot representing what they love about conservation land for the chance to win an amazing Fiordland adventure.
“I don’t get off Whenua Hou all that often so I’m not up with the play on our parks. As official Spokesbird for Conservation, I really need to see why New Zealanders love them so much!” says Sirocco.
People can enter their photo through Sirocco’s Facebook page before Sunday 23 September. The 10 photos with the most votes will go to professional photographer Rob Suisted for judging.
“This is a chance for people to share their stunning snapshots that may be sitting unseen on a computer or memory card, or to go out and explore a park during Conservation Week and snag that perfect picture,” says DOC spokeswoman Siobhan File.
“Photos should stand out, highlighting our conservation land and showing people enjoying their parks. Entries can be from all over the country but photos must be taken on public conservation land,” says Siobhan.
The winner will receive for themselves and a friend:
- Flights to Queenstown from the winner's nearest airport, courtesy of Air New Zealand
- Return transport from Queenstown to Te Anau, courtesy of Tracknet
- Two night’s accommodation in Te Anau, courtesy of Red Tussock Motel
- Transfers to and from the Kepler Great Walk track, courtesy of Tracknet
- Freedom Walk vouchers (3 night hut passes) for the Kepler Great Walk track
- A Milford Sound cruise, including lunch and pick up, courtesy of JUCY Cruize
- Massage vouchers, courtesy of Fiordland Massage Clinic
- Horse trek vouchers, courtesy of Highride Adventures
- Entry to ‘Fiordland on Film – Ata Whenua’ vouchers, courtesy of Fiordland Cinema
- A meal at Fiordland's home of pizza and pasta, courtesy of La Toscana
The contest was launched on Sunday 9 September and entries close at 10 pm Sunday 23 September. Voting continues until 10 pm Wednesday 26 September.
Siobhan File, Communications Advisor
Phone: +64 4 471 3034