Eastern Ōkataina Walkway
Located in Lake Ōkataina Scenic Reserve in the Bay of Plenty region
IntroductionEnjoy splendid lake views through native bush with the option to branch off the track and head down to Lake Ōkataina at several bays.
Lake Ōkataina Carpark (Tauranganui Bay) to Humphries Bay (Lake Tarawera)
The track heads south, passing Te Koutu Point and a large natural amphitheatre named the Soundshell, formed by volcanic rock cliffs. The track continues meandering through native bush, offering splendid lake views.
There are several options to branch off the track and head down to the lake at Te Koutu, Kaiwaka Bay and Ōtangimoana Bay.
From Ōtangimoana Bay, the track climbs away from Lake Ōkataina overland and then descends into Humphries Bay on Lake Tarawera.
Return the same way or continuing to Tarawera Outlet along the Northern Tarawera Track.
- Lake Ōkataina car park to Soundshell, 10 min
- Soundshell to Kaiwaka Bay, 40 min
- Kaiwaka Bay to Ōtangimoana Bay, 1 hr 50 min
- Ōtangimoana Bay to Humphries Bay, 20 min
The track starts from the car park at the end of Lake Ōkataina Road. Turn onto Lake Ōkataina Road from SH 30 (Whakatane/ Rotorua highway) at Ruato, 22 km from Rotorua.
A short section of this track suffers from occasional rock falls. Do not stop on the track between the sign posts indicating this hazard.
Stay safe in the outdoors
- Take the right gear for your trip: Walking and tramping gear lists.
- Tell a trusted person your plans and when to raise the alarm if you haven’t returned. Send them the information directly, or use the Outdoor Intentions form or Plan My Walk.
- Follow the five essential steps of the Land Safety Code.
|Phone:||07 349 7400|
|Fax:||+64 4 471 1117|
99 Sala Street
PO Box 1146
|Full office details|