Franz Josef campsite hosts
November 2023 to the end of April 2024, for two weeks at a time (or longer).
Ottos/Macdonalds Campsite is an easily accessible campsite at the northern end of Lake Mapourika, surrounded by Westland Tai Poutini National Park. It's very popular with travellers and fishermen, especially during the salmon fishing season.
- Campsite ticket collection and recording
- Cleaning of the facilities
- Providing information to visitors
- Communicating with DOC staff by radio
- Daily meeting with DOC ranger
What to expect
Accommodation: A free campsite is provided. You must provide your own accommodation.
Food: Camp hosts will receive a $200 per week contribution to their grocery costs at the Franz Josef Four Square or MTA Fuel Vouchers.
Cost: No charge.
Fitness required: Low level of fitness required.
Essential skills and characteristics:
- able to relate to a range of people in a friendly manner
- mature, sensible and have a good attitude
- have a practical outlook and able to work alone
- culturally sensitive
- first aid certificate preferable
- conversant in English
- compliance with DOC Health and Safety Policy.
Pickup/meeting details: Camp hosts will meet with Rangers on site at the beginning of their stay. Inductions will be carried out on site.
Travel: Camp Hosts need to find their own way to and from the campsite. Ottos/Macdonalds Campground is easily reached via State Highway 6, about 10 minutes north of Franz Josef. Camp hosts must have their own accommodation - we recommend a bus or caravan.
Safety procedures: Approved volunteers must comply with the DOC Health and Safety Policy, and arrive prepared with appropriate amounts of food and warm/waterproof clothing.
Dogs: As the campground is within Westland Tai Poutini National Park, camp hosts are not permitted to have dogs.
How to apply
Get a letter of reference.
Apply online and attach the letter of reference to the form.
Everyone who applies for this position is subject to a DOC safety check and Ministry of Justice criminal record check. Information about these checks will be provided after you apply.
What happens after you apply
- We’ll shortlist applicants and email the safety check form for you to complete.
- We’ll contact you about an interview time – the interview will be with a DOC staff member and it’s also an opportunity for you to ask questions about the role.
- We’ll talk to your referees.
- We’ll request a Ministry of Justice criminal record check – this takes around three days.
- DOC staff will assess all the material provided and decide on suitability.
- Once approved we will work with you to find dates that suit you and complete your induction.
For more information contact the Franz Josef Office or campsite Ranger:
Phone: +64 3 752 0360