Consultation closed: 27 April 2012
A final decision on the proposal has been deferred until the current Māui dolphin Threat Management Plan review is completed later this year.
The Department will consult with the interested parties, as part of the review, on a range of options to deal with the threats to Māui dolphin.
DOC has sought submissions on the intention to redefine the West Coast North Island Marine Mammal Sanctuary.
Views on extending the seismic survey regulations into the area were also sought.
The Notice of Intention to Redefine the West Coast North Island Marine Mammal Sanctuary was published in a Supplement to the Gazette welcoming submissions. The notification can be viewed along with a map of the proposed extension:
For more information on what the extension to the sanctuary involves:
A review of the Māui and Hector’s Dolphin Threat Management Plan is currently being undertaken. This will be undertaken in stages with a focus in 2012 on threat mitigation and research priorities for the Māui dolphin. The review process will be confirmed shortly.
- New research on the estimated abundance of Māui dolphin Māui dolphin abundance estimate report (PDF, 3061K)
- Government moves to further protect dolphins - Media release 13 March 2012
- West Coast North Island Marine Mammal Sanctuary
- Māui dolphin
- Reported sightings of Māui dolphin
- Recorded Māui dolphin incidents
- Reducing the risks to Māui dolphin
Viewing files on this page
If you can't view these files contact us to request another format.