Habitat Heroes is a curriculum-linked conservation education programme designed for Levels 1-4.
Teaching and learning resources have been developed to encourage exploration in your local environment.
Download the resource
- Investigate the health of a local stream by carrying out scientific tests.
- Decide what conservation actions would improve the health of a local green space.
- Understand that people have social, cultural and economic roles, rights and responsibilities.
The Habitat Heroes resources encourage:
- Learning about a local natural environment.
- Investigation in a local natural environment, eg carrying out scientific investigations such as a five-minute bird count, water clarity tests and human impact observations.
- Uncovering potential solutions to local environmental issues, resulting in taking action for their local natural environment, eg actions to increase the biodiversity within a local green space.
Habitat Heroes aims to enable students to become:
- Connected to local natural environments. The learning activities will provide them with opportunities to make their own observations and draw conclusions about their local natural environments.
- Actively involved in improving and maintaining the health of local natural environments. The learning activities will allow students to identify local environmental issues, and encourage students to find solutions.
- Confident, responsible, lifelong learners, able to sustain and care for their environment now and into the future.
- Native animals
- Pests and threats
Curriculum learning areas
- Social science
- Education for sustainability