How to prepare for an interview
IntroductionMake a great impression by doing your research and planning what you’ll say.
Learn about DOC and the role you’re applying for. It’ll help you answer the interview questions and show you’re really interested in the job.
Visit the DOC website and search for information online.
Be prepared to promote yourself
Let us know why you’re the best choice for the role. Think about the key requirements of the job, and match these with your skills and experience. Look at the role description, particularly the competencies within the capability areas.
If you bring notes to the interview, keep them short and to the point.
We mainly ask behavioural questions. These are are open and often begin with "Tell us about a time when". Prepare for these questions by doing the following:
- Review your CV, cover letter and the role description.
- Look at the required competencies in the role description and provide evidence of how you’ve demonstrated them.
- Use the STAR model (Situation, Task, Action, Result) to come up with some example answers.
There are many online resources to help you prepare for behavioural/STAR interviews.
As well as behavioural questions, you’re likely to be asked traditional questions such as:
- why are you applying for this role?
- tell us about yourself.
Make sure you can explain any gaps in your work and study history.
The interview is primarily for us to determine the best person for the job, but it’s also a chance for you to find out if you want to work at DOC. List one or two things you’d like to know about the role, team or organisation.
We discuss remuneration at the time of the offer.
Make a good first impression
- Know where your interview is being held and plan how you’ll get there.
- Have a backup plan in case something goes wrong, such as children getting sick.
- Arrive early so you’ll have time to relax before the interview starts.
- Be yourself, relax, and listen carefully to questions.
- Be friendly but professional and use appropriate language.
- Wear tidy clothing.