George Lyon Hut
Located in Nelson Lakes National Park in the Nelson/Tasman region
IntroductionThis is a standard 16-bunk hut in the Nelson Lakes area.
- Toilets - non-flush
- Water from stream
Built in 1973, George Lyon Hut was formerly known as Ella Hut.
As the first Nelson Lakes National Park chief ranger (1959-80), George Lyon was the forefront of environmental education, promoting outdoor education and conservation. He was also one of the first people to encourage work with community members and volunteers.
He guided the development of the first recreation facilities for the Park, including 11 backcountry huts.
- Adult (18+ years): $5 per night
- Youth (11–17 years): $2.50 per night
- Child/Infant (0–10 years): free
Before you go, buy 1 Standard Hut Ticket (blue for adults, yellow for youth) for each night's stay. Put this in the honesty box at the hut. Or buy a Backcountry Hut Pass that gives unlimited use at most Standard and Serviced huts for a 6 or 12 month period.
About hut tickets and passes | Retailers that sell hut tickets and passes
Fees from 1 July 2023
- Adult (18+ years): $10 per night
- Youth (5–17 years): $5 per night
- Child/Infant (0–4 years): free
Times from nearest huts:
- Morgan Hut: 4 hr
- Upper D'Urville Hut: 3 hr
NZTopo50 map sheet: BS24
Grid/NZTM2000 coordinates: E1567315, N5344932
Altitude: 660m above sea level
Keep alpine lakes and tarns free of lindavia (lake snow)
The invasive alga lindavia is present in Lakes Rotoiti and Rotoroa. It causes lake snow – a sticky mucus that hangs below the surface of the water.
Stop lindavia getting to the pristine alpine lakes in Nelson Lakes National Park:
- Make sure all your gear is completely dry for 48 hours before swimming or taking water from any alpine lake or tarn, including Rotomaninitua/Lake Angelus.
- Do not touch the water in Rotomairewhenua/Blue Lake and Rotopōhueroa/Lake Constance.
- Be extra careful if you’ve recently swum or filled a drink bottle from Lakes Rotoiti or Rotoroa.
|Rotoiti / Nelson Lakes Visitor Centre|
|Phone:||+64 3 521 1806|
PO Box 55
St Arnaud 7053
|Full office details|
|Whakatū / Nelson Visitor Centre|
|Phone:||+64 3 546 9339|
|Fax:||+64 4 471 1117|
Millers Acre/Taha o te Awa
79 Trafalgar Street
Private Bag 5
|Full office details|