Sunday to Friday
- Adult (18+ years): $25 per night
- Child/youth (5-17 years): $12.50 per night
- Infant (0-4 years): free
- Adult (18+ years): $30 per night
- Child/youth (5–17 years): $15 per night
- Infant: (0-4 years): free
Bookings are required all year. Book Powell Hut online
A $10 service fee applies to phone and in-person booking. This is a limited service – book online first. An in-person booking is dependent on there being space available.
Your hut booking is for any bunk bed, not for a specific bunk bed – select your bunk bed on arrival.
Powell Hut can be accessed via Holdsworth Road end and is on the popular Mt Holdsworth - Jumbo Circuit.
2 km south of Masterton, turn off SH2 into Norfolk Road, which turns into Mt Holdsworth Road. Follow signs to Tararua Forest Park, about 15 km from SH2.
Tracks to this hut
Holdsworth roadend to Powell Hut/Mount HoldsworthLocated in Holdsworth area and Tararua Forest ParkThis tramp follows the Mount Holdsworth Track to Powell Hut. From the rocky outcrop below the hut you get a view of High Ridge and Totara Flats far below.Duration powell hut: 5 – 6 hr, mount holdsworth: 7 – 8 hrDifficulty Intermediate
Mt Holdsworth - Jumbo CircuitLocated in Holdsworth area and Tararua Forest ParkThe classic Mt Holdsworth - Jumbo Circuit is a two to three day tramp involving a climb through beech-podocarp forest to some of the best alpine tops travel in the Tararua Forest Park.Duration 12 hrDifficulty Intermediate
NZTopo50 map sheet: BP34
Grid/NZTM2000 coordinates: E1804184, N5471183
- Dogs are not allowed in backcountry huts.
- Hunters must comply with the Arms Code.
- Any disorderly conduct will not be tolerated and will be handled in conjunction with the local police.