Fiordland National Park Visitor Centre
IntroductionGet all the latest information and best tips to make the most of your visit to Fiordland National Park.
Come and see us. Our staff have a wealth of experience and knowledge about walks to do and sights to see in Fiordland.
Te Rua-o-te-moko / Fiordland National Park Visitor Centre is in the lakeside town of Te Anau, the gateway to Fiordland National Park – part of the Te Wāhipounamu World Heritage Area.
The visitor centre will be closed on Friday 20 October 2023 from 9 am to 10.30 am.
Check if a DOC visitor centre is open
Always call before visiting as some visitor centres may have to physically close due to staff shortages or other issues.
Plan your visit to Fiordland National Park
Information and services available:
- Great Walks and backcountry tracks information, tickets and maps
- track conditions and weather forecasts
- short walks and family friendly activities
- hunting permits and didymo clean gear certificates
- books, postcards, clothing and gifts and last minute essential items for your trip.
Learn about conservation in Fiordland:
- get details about our conservation projects and how you can get involved
- watch our 20-minute film Stepping into Fiordland National Park (screens on demand)
- museum showing the natural and human history and features of Fiordland
- learn about Fiordland's special birds, the endangered takahē and kākāpō, and the work we do to protect them.
Phone us or check here for any last minute updates to our opening hours.
- May to 21 October: open Monday to Saturday from 9 am – 4 pm, closed for lunch 12 - 1 pm. Closed Sunday.
- Sunday 22 October to April: 8:30 am – 4:30 pm daily.
- Anzac Day, 25 April: open 1 pm – 4:30 pm.
- Open on public holidays, except Christmas Day.
We’re on the waterfront, at the corner of Lakefront Drive and SH95 Manapouri Highway. It's a 10 minute walk from Te Anau's main street.