Lachlan cleaning up a beach
Image: Becs Gibson | DOC
Download this activity
What you need
- An awa or moana that is local to you.
- Gloves or something to pick things up with.
- Warm clothes and good footwear that won’t slip on rocks or banks.
- Food and water.
- A bag to take the rubbish away with.
What to do
Now that you've found your water source to clean, make sure you ask your parents because they’ll need to go with you.
Check the weather conditions on the day, and make sure you're prepared.
When you're out on your clean up, think about the following.
- What does this wai means to you – do you have a special connection to this place?
- Are there things you like to do at this wai?
- Are there interesting birds, plants, insects, smells, views, colours here?
Claim your Kiwi Guardians Toa Tiaki Wai Water Champion medal
Toa Tiaki Wai/Water Champion medal
Tell us where you did your clean-up, what you found and why this wai is important to you.
Complete the claim form to tell us about your activity, and we'll send you a medal. Each Kiwi Guardians action has a different medal – see how many you can collect.
Share what you did
The team at Toyota Kiwi Guardians would love to hear about what you did. Send us an email, or share something online using #KiwiGuardians, so we can share it with others. Visit Kiwi Guardians on Facebook.