Kiwi Guardians on Tiritiri Matangi Island
IntroductionAll aboard! Keep an eye out for marine life from the boat to Tiritiri Matangi. On the island there are no pests so you'll see some of New Zealand's most endangered birds in the wild, including takahē, kōkako, saddleback/tīeke and stitchbird/hihi.
Adventure time: 2 hr
Distance: 3.5 km
Travel: 4 km off the coast of Whangaparāoa Peninsula, north of Auckland
Cost: Ferry fares
Bring your togs in summer, so you can go for a swim.
- Stop, look and listen in the bush – you’ll see and hear the many birds.
- Walk the Wattle Track – the bird baths here are a hub for birds drinking, bathing and interacting.
- Enjoy the ferry ride there and back – look for marine life, seabirds or little penguins/kororā.
- Meet the guides and join in with fun activities at the visitor centre.
To get your medal
- Plan your visit to Tiritiri Matangi Island. Check for facilities and alerts before you go.
- Download the adventure map (PDF, 640K).
- Go on your adventure and find the code word on the Kiwi Guardians post.
Claim your medal
Claim your medal using the code word for this adventure. Each Kiwi Guardians adventure has a different medal – see how many you can collect.