IntroductionPouakai Hut is Egmont National Park's most popular hut.
Pouakai Hut unavailable for bookings after 11 February 2024.
The hut will close for redevelopment.
Easy walk from road end
- Toilets - non-flush
- Water from tap - not treated, boil before use
Sit on the deck and enjoy views out to the Taranaki coastline, or go for a short walk to photograph reflections of Mt Taranaki in the Pouakai tarns.
An hour's tramp will take you down into the mighty Ahukawakawa Swamp with its unique flora and fauna.
Facilities and services
- Bunks – mattresses supplied
- Cold running water from a rainwater tank
- Heating from a wood burner. Wood is supplied.
- Containment tank toilet a short walk from the hut
- Adult (18+ years): $25 per night
- Child/youth (5-17 years): $12.50 per night
- Infant (0-4 years): free
Before you go, buy 1 Serviced Hut Ticket (green) or 1 Serviced Youth Hut Ticket (red) for each night's stay. Put these in the honesty box at the hut.
- Adult (18+ years): $10 per night
- Youth (5-17 years): $5 per night
- Infant (0-4 years): free
Before you go, buy 1 Standard Hut Ticket (blue for adults, yellow for youth) for each night's stay. Put this in the honesty box at the hut.
Backcountry Hut Passes can be used at this hut.
Outside Pouaki Hut there is space for 2 small tents.
Camping elsewhere is discouraged.
A $10 service fee applies to phone and in-person booking. This is a limited service – book online first. An in-person booking is dependent on there being space available.
Bookings are required all year.
Your hut booking is for any bunk bed, not for a specific bunk bed – select your bunk bed on arrival.
Times from nearest road ends:
- Mangorei Road end via Mangorei Track – 2 hours, 5 km.
- Kaiauai carpark via Kaiauai Track – 5 to 6 hours, 10 km.
- North Egmont Visitor Centre via Holly Hut Track – 5 to 7 hours, 12 km.
Tracks to this hut
Dover RouteLocated in Egmont National ParkOn a clear day this challenging route offers spectacular views of Mt Taranaki and the coastline.Duration 3 hr 30 min one wayDifficulty Expert
Mangorei Track to Pouakai TarnsLocated in Egmont National ParkOn a fine day enjoy spectacular views of Taranaki and the Pouakai Tarns on this day hike or overnight tramp.Duration 2 hr 30 min one wayDifficulty Intermediate
Pouakai CircuitLocated in Egmont National Park and North Egmont areaEgmont National Park’s premier 2–3 day tramp offers spectacular views of Mt Taranaki and the surrounding countryside. The 25 km track passes through forest, alpine tussock fields and the unique Ahukawakawa Swamp.Duration 2 - 3 daysDifficulty Advanced
NZTopo50 map sheet: BJ29
Grid/NZTM2000 coordinates: E1689592, N5656608