Mavora - Greenstone Walkway
Located in Mavora Lakes Conservation Park in the Southland region
IntroductionThis is a 50 km, four day tramping trip, linking the Mavora Lakes Camping Area with the Greenstone Track. It passes through open valley tussock land and beech forested hill country.
50 km one way
- Four wheel driving
Facilities reduced in winter.
This is a 50 km, four day tramping trip, linking the Mavora Lakes camping area with the Greenstone Track.
The tracks from the campsite to Boundary Hut and Forks Hut are suitable for mountain biking.
The track from the campsite to Careys Hut is suitable for 4WD vehicles, however beyond this the tracks are very rough/difficult and not recommended for vehicle access.
North Mavora Lake to Careys Hut
Time: 2 hr
Distance: 10 km
From the Mavora camping area follow the four wheel drive track around the lake edge to the head of North Mavora Lake and Careys Hut (1 hour 30 minutes - 2 hours).
Careys Hut - Boundary Hut
Time: 2 hr
Distance: 6 km
From Careys Hut the walkway climbs beyond the hut, then splits into two branches. The right branch continues on to Boundary Hut (4 bunks). The left branch is a very rough 4WD track that crosses the confluence of Mararoa River and Windon Burn and then continues for 3 hr to Forks Hut (4 bunks).
Boundary Hut to Taipo Hut
Time: 3 - 4 hr
Distance: 12 km
From the hut cross the swingbridge and follow marker posts on the true right of the Mararoa River. The track sidles up along the toe of the hill and the true right of the valley and continues onto Taipo Hut. Access to the hut on the north side of the river is by swingbridge.
Taipo Hut to Greenstone Hut
Time: 4 - 5 hr
Distance: 10 km
The track follows the toe of the hill on the western side of the Pondburn Valley. Watch carefully opposite the middle of the top pond, as the track veers up a terrace into a forest, and continues to the saddle of the Passburn Valley (728 metres). The track drops steeply (marked by warratahs) to the stream (crossing on boulders), climbing and sidling around to the Greenstone Hut. The hut is sited in a bush clearing above the confluence of the Greenstone and Sly Burn, under the rocky pinnacles of Tooth Peaks.
Greenstone Hut to Greenstone Road End
Time: 3 - 5 hr
Distance: 11 km
The Greenstone River is crossed by a swingbridge and the Greenstone Track continues downstream to the road end car park. Alternatively, follow up the Greenstone Valley to Lake McKellar, Lake Howden and The Divide. Allow an extra day for this section of the Greenstone Track.
The walkway is located in the Mavora Lakes Park. From State Highway 94 between Mossburn and Te Anau branch off at Centre Hill or Burwood Station and follow unsealed roads for 39 km. There is no regular public transport to the Mavora Lakes in winter.
Transport connections are available from the end of the Greenstone Track to Glenorchy, or from the Divide on the Milford Road.
What to expect
- The track is marked by poles and warratahs.
- Sections of the track are exposed to the rigours of mountain weather all year round and trampers should be well equipped.
- There are no heating facilities in Boundary or Taipo Huts, and no cooking facilities in any of the huts, so portable stoves must be carried.
- The water supply is turned off in Careys, Boundary and Taipo Huts from May until October.
- Fires are prohibited on the Mavora - Greenstone Walkway, except at Greenstone and Careys Huts.
- No vehicles, including mountain and trail bikes, are to be taken past Boundary hut onto Elfin Bay Station.
- Dogs and firearms are prohibited beyond Boundary Hut.
Stay safe in the outdoors
- Take the right gear for your trip: Walking and tramping gear lists.
- Tell a trusted person your plans and when to raise the alarm if you haven’t returned. Send them the information directly, or use the Outdoor Intentions form or Plan My Walk.
- Follow the five essential steps of the Land Safety Code.
|Te Rua-o-te-moko / Fiordland National Park Visitor Centre|
|Phone:||+64 3 249 7924|
|Fax:||+64 4 471 1117|
Fiordland National Park
Te Anau 9600
PO Box 29
Te Anau 9640
|Full office details|