Located in St James Conservation Area in the Canterbury region
IntroductionThis is a standard 6-bunk hut in the St James Conservation Area.
- Toilets - non-flush
- Water from tap - not treated, boil before use
This hut is on the Te Araroa Trail and can be busy over summer.
Waiau Hut is in a sheltered clearing on the Waiau River.
It was designed to accommodate extra demand from trampers on the Te Araroa Trail and was made possible by the support of a generous benefactor.
- Adult (18+ years): $5 per night
- Youth (11–17 years): $2.50 per night
- Child/Infant (0–10 years): free
Before you go, buy 1 Standard Hut Ticket (blue for adults, yellow for youth) for each night's stay. Put this in the honesty box at the hut. Or buy a Backcountry Hut Pass that gives unlimited use at most Standard and Serviced huts for a 6 or 12 month period.
About hut tickets and passes | Retailers that sell hut tickets and passes
Fees from 1 July 2023
- Adult (18+ years): $10 per night
- Youth (5–17 years): $5 per night
- Child/Infant (0–4 years): free
The hut is on Waiau Pass Track, which connects Nelson Lakes National Park and St James Conservation Area.
Nearest hut and access point
- Blue Lake Hut: 10 to 12 hrs via Lewis Pass – Waiau Pass – Blue Lake Route
- Waiau River: 2 hrs. Waiua River can be accessed via the Maling Pass 4WD track.
Tracks to this hut
Lewis Pass - Waiau Pass - Blue Lake RouteLocated in Lewis Pass Scenic Reserve and Nelson Lakes National Park and St James Conservation AreaWaiau Pass is an alpine crossing suitable for experienced parties only, linking Lewis Pass and Nelson Lakes National Park.Duration 8-10 days for full tripDifficulty Expert
NZTopo50 map sheet: BT24
Grid/NZTM 2000 coordinates: E1572023, N5330158
Keep alpine lakes and tarns free of lindavia (lake snow)
The invasive alga lindavia is present in Lakes Rotoiti and Rotoroa. It causes lake snow – a sticky mucus that hangs below the surface of the water.
Stop lindavia getting to the pristine alpine lakes in Nelson Lakes National Park:
- Make sure all your gear is completely dry for 48 hours before swimming or taking water from any alpine lake or tarn, including Rotomaninitua/Lake Angelus.
- Do not touch the water in Rotomairewhenua/Blue Lake and Rotopōhueroa/Lake Constance.
- Be extra careful if you’ve recently swum or filled a drink bottle from Lakes Rotoiti or Rotoroa.
|Arthur's Pass National Park Visitor Centre|
|Phone:||+64 3 318 9211|
104 West Coast Road
PO Box 51008
Arthur's Pass 7654
|Full office details|