Buy a Taupō fishing licence online
IntroductionA licence is required to fish in the Lake Taupō district. Licences are valid from 1 July to 30 June each year.
New fishing season
New fishing season licences for 2023/24 go on sale from Saturday 24 June 2023. This is a week before the start of the season.
Before you buy a licence
- Check you'll be fishing in the Lake Taupō district (Lake Taupō and the tributaries flowing into Lake Taupō) – there are no refunds if you buy a licence you don't need.
- Check the Taupō fishing licence options.
- Be aware these licences do not cover Fish & Game regions – for fishing elsewhere in New Zealand, see Fish & Game New Zealand.
- Know the rules and regulations for fishing around Lake Taupō.
- Make sure your postal address is correct if you're buying a season licence.
- Check ramp permits for Lake Taupō at the Department of Internal Affairs.
Lake Rotoaira fishing: Anglers no longer need a Taupō fishing licence to fish at Lake Rotoaira. Buy a Lake Rotoaira licence.
Buy a resident licence
You are a resident if you are a New Zealand citizen (by birth certificate, passport, citizenship) regardless of place of residence, or a permanent New Zealand resident as those terms are defined in section 4 of the Immigration Act 2009.
Buy a non-resident licence
You are a non-resident if you are not a New Zealand citizen, nor a permanent resident as those terms are defined in section 4 of the Immigration Act 2009.