Adopt a track In Rotorua
IntroductionOngoing for 12 month period: Adopt a track in Rotorua to look after for 12 months.
Walking, tramping and mountain biking tracks managed by the DOC must be maintained to a specific standard to make sure they are safe and accessible to the public.
Recreation rangers have a key role in ensuring our recreational tracks meet these standards. With more than 30 tracks in the local area, you'll be supporting the work of recreation rangers by adopting a track.
You'll need to visit your track at least quarterly to check it meets the required criteria and is providing a great visitor experience. Training will be provided to enable you to:
- safely trim overgrown vegetation
- remove weeds from the sides of tracks
- clear drainage routes
- report any safety concerns such as wind thrown trees so that DOC will rectify
- provide a report on your activities every 4 months
- collect litter
- ensure signage is well maintained.
You may also have the opportunity to be involved with education tours of your track or other conservation work in the area such as tree planting or species monitoring.
What will be provided
DOC will provide:
- training on track standards and weed identification
- template health and safety plan
- personal protective equipment
- hand tools and weed killer if required
- ongoing support.
Catherine Noble, Ranger
Phone: +64 275 423 683