What in the plan needs changing
The current Foreshore Plan (2012) does not adequately address four issues relating to access to the reserve. The partial review only focuses on these four issues:
- Access to the reserve for kaitiaki responsibilities and non-commercial cultural activities.
- Recreation concessions at Watering Cove and Observation Beach bays.
- Provision of an additional Coastal Access Point at Tonga Quarry for a trial period.
- Drop off/retrieval of commercial hire equipment from the reserve.
An outline of each issue is included in the draft Foreshore Plan partial review.
Where to view the draft partial review of the plan
Printed copies can be inspected during work hours at:
- DOC regional offices and offices in Motueka and Takaka
- Tasman District Council offices and public libraries in Richmond, Motueka and Takaka, and
- Nelson public library.
How to make a submission
Submissions closed on Monday 12 October 2015.
How the partial review will progress
The draft Foreshore Plan partial review document has been prepared by the Administration Committee in consultation with the Nelson Marlborough Conservation Board, iwi, the Abel Tasman Foreshore Advisory Forum and the Abel Tasman User Group.
It was released for public submissions on 12 August 2015. The submission period closed at 4 pm on Monday 12 October 2015.
All submissions received will be collated and hearings held for those submitters who asked to be heard. The Abel Tasman Foreshore Scenic Reserve Management Plan Approval Committee will consider the submissions and hold the hearings.
Based on consideration of all the submissions, the Management Plan Approval Committee may request that the Administration Committee revise the draft Foreshore Plan. Submitters will be advised on the response to their submission and the reasons for that approach.
The revised draft Foreshore Plan will then be sent back to the Management Plan Approval Committee for their consideration and approval.
Further information is available on the Tasman District Council website (select ‘Abel Tasman Foreshore Plan partial review’ from the drop down list). Or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Update - Submissions received, hearings and plan approval
Thanks to everyone who submitted on the partial review.
Eleven submissions were received in total, with six of the submitters requesting to speak to their submission.
Hearings were held on Friday 30 October 2015, from 10.00 am -11.00 am, at the Tasman District Council Service Centre, 7 Hickmott Place, Motueka.
Hearings were open to the public.
Following the hearing, the Management Plan Approval Committee deliberated on all submissions received and requested that a number of amendments be made to the plan text.
The Management Plan Approval Committee approved the revised plan to:
- enable access to the reserve for kaitiaki responsibilities and non-commercial cultural activities;
- provide for an increase in use of Observation Beach bays and a corresponding reduction in use of the adjacent Watering Cove;
- provide for ongoing use of Tonga Quarry by water taxis on a trial basis; and
- specify provisions relating to drop off/retrieval of hire equipment from the reserve.
The revised plan took effect on 27 November 2015.
Viewing files on this page
If you can't view these files contact us to request another format.