Photos we need
- be high quality
- show what the track/hut/campsite/area is like
- be in landscape not portrait orientation
- be at least 1200 pixels wide x 783 pixels high
Photos should have a Creative Commons licence. We recommend one of these licences:
- CC-BY-4.0: lets others distribute, remix, tweak, and build upon your work, as long as they credit you for the original creation - even commercially
- CC-BY-NC-4.0: lets others distribute, remix, tweak, and build upon your work, as long as they credit you for the original creation - but cannot be used commercially.
If you want another Creative Commons licence, specify which one. if you don't specify a licence, we'll use the default CC-BY-4.0.
How to submit your photos
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with 'Photo submission' in the subject line.
Attach the photos or include a link to them.
Make sure you include the following details, or we won't be able to use your photos:
- your name so we can give you credit
- a caption for each photo – include specific location
- confirmation that you have permission from any people in the photo
- confirmation that you are the legal owner of the photo and have the right to share it
- any specific Creative Commons licence you'd like us to use.
We appreciate you taking the time to submit your photos. We will work through the submissions and load suitable photos onto the DOC website.
Terms and conditions
By submitting your photo you agree to the following:
- You are granting the Department of Conservation (DOC) permission to use your photo as it sees fit, for the sole purpose of promoting conservation and recreation activities.
- You are granting permission for your photo to be used in any medium or form of distribution, including but not limited to: the DOC website, social media channels, brochures, posters and other printed material. We may need to crop your photo, depending on how we use it.
- Depending on which licence you have selected, your photo may be shared with DOC's partners, individuals, or other third party organisations.
- You will not receive any payment if DOC decides to use your photo however you will always receive credit/acknowledgement whenever your photo is used. This will occur either in a picture credit, caption, link or acknowledgement within the publication.
- You retain copyright and intellectual property of the photo.
- You warrant that you hold all copyright and intellectual property in your photo.
- You indemnify and hold harmless both the Director-General and Minister of Conservation against all claims brought by any third party claiming breach of copyright or privacy breach in the photo.