Waikato Conservation Board district
IntroductionFind out about the area that the Waikato Conservation Board deals with.
The board's district encompasses the Waikato and Coromandel regions with 270,000 ha of public conservation land and 1,200 km of coastline. Significant features include:
- large tracts of virgin forest (Moehau, Waihaha and Waipapa)
- extensive wetlands (Whangamarino, Kopuatai)
- estuaries (Kawhia, Thames Estuary)
- rare and threatened species (kokako, Archey's frog, Mahoenui giant weta)
- reptile and seabird communities on offshore islands
- important Maori and European historic resources
- karst landscapes and ecosystems.