About the Land Safety Forum
IntroductionThe Land Safety Forum is a group of agencies and organisations that work together to reduce preventable land safety incidents.
We do this through greater coordination and integration of ideas, projects and initiatives. Our members increase their reach and impact by being part of a national network.
The purpose of the Land Safety Forum is to improve land safety sector outcomes through information sharing, collaboration and coordination.
Our vision is for land safety organisations to work together to achieve improved land safety sector outcomes by helping people recreate safely in the outdoors.
The forum’s mission is to work together in a collaborative way to increase our reach and impact by being part of a national network.
This forum is made up of a agencies and organisations involved in the land safety sector. They cover land managers, outdoor recreation groups and organisations involved in Search and Rescue.
Governance is provided by the forum as a whole in the meetings, supported by the Secretariat. The Forum’s authority depends on agreement among the members.
Members currently include:
- Auckland Council
- Department of Conservation (provides Secretariat function)
- Federated Mountain Clubs
- Fish & Game New Zealand
- Great Wellington Regional Council
- Herenga ā Nuku Aotearoa | New Zealand Outdoor Access Commission
- Land Search & Rescue New Zealand
- New Zealand Alpine Club
- New Zealand Deerstalkers Association
- New Zealand Game Animal Council
- New Zealand Mountain Safety Council
- New Zealand Police
- New Zealand Search and Rescue
- Recreation Aotearoa
- Rescue Coordination Centre New Zealand (Maritime New Zealand)
- Sport New Zealand
- Water Safety New Zealand
The Land Safety Forum also has strong connections to the water safety sector. It sits alongside and supports the work of:
Terms of Reference
Terms of reference for the Land Safety Forum (PDF, 176K)
The Department of Conservation provides a Secretariat service for the forum. This includes:
- meeting arrangements (notice of meetings, agenda, venue, minute taking and distribution)
- chairing the forum meetings
- governance support (strategy proposals, risk management and assurance support)
- ad hoc support for issue resolution, opportunity response, sub-group operation, and stakeholder management
- project support and delivery
- project evaluation